Friday, February 4, 2011

Funky and Recycled Jewelry

We all got up early this morning to go to a monster garage sale put on by our local Rotary Club for the Queensland Flood Appeal. We had donated a lot of the things ourselves that were to be sold and I was overwhelmed by how much it seemed that everyone had donated - they had to move into a bigger building! What does this have to do with gifts? Well my daughter was busy looking through all of the jewelry and bags as she's decided she is now a 'girly girl' - only a couple of weeks ago she was a tomboy (apparently)! Sometimes you can find your best pieces of jewelry quite by chance and it was by chance that I came across this bracelet online -



Recycled Record Cuff Bracelet - $ 29.95

From: Vat19.com: Curiously Awesome Gifts


My daughter thinks it's awesome (apparently cuff bracelets are really cool) and I think it's great to see yet another use for our old vinyl records. Here's the blurb from the company -

The Recycled Record Cuff Bracelet turns discarded vinyl LPs into a simple and elegant fashion accessory. The shiny surface coupled with the vinyl's tiny grooves adds a dash of "awesome" to this eco-friendly and innovative recycled item.While it features enough "give" to fit most wrists, the Recycled Record Cuff can be stretched further by immersing in hot water. Handmade in the USA with a rhodium-plated backing.

Looking around I have found that you can find lots of jewelry made from recycled things online and some of it is really groovy, or should I say sick!

This bangle style bracelet is made of newspapers and is handwoven in India - a cool way to show that 'green is chic.'

Do you remember when you were younger and a boy would give you the ring from his soda can - now that was recycled jewelry and we didn't even know we were being 'green' and 'chic' we just thought it was love!

 Well I haven't come across any of these rings for sale online, but I have found this -

These pendants are handmade using vintage bottle caps and I think they look gorgeous - it takes me back way too many years.

If you don't like the peace sign logo they are actually available in a selection of different designs.

I hope you've enjoyed these few items of recycled jewelry that I've found for you - it is amazing how much is available online so you may find another post with some of my other recycled jewelry finds at a later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment